- 1 Ultimate 8 Step Guide for Starting a Blog with WordPress and Bluehost
- 1.1 1. Define Purpose – Fuel Your Passion
- 1.2 2. Choose a Niche
- 1.3 3. Select Platform
- 1.4 4. Tips to Select a Domain Name from Bluehost
- 1.5 5. Install and Setup Your WordPress Blog on Bluehost for Dummies Step By Step Guide
- 1.6 6. Start Designing Your Blog Step by Step
- 1.7 7. SEO Optimisation – Things to do after installing WordPress
- 1.8 8. Connect your Site with Google Search Console
- 1.9 Conclusion:
How to Start a WordPress Blog with Bluehost in 2019
- How to Start a WordPress Blog with Bluehost 2019
- Ultimate 8-Steps to Start and Build Your WordPress Blog in 2019
So, finally you decided to leave your 9 to 5 desk job and start a blog that generate $1000 a month by just spending 1-2 hours daily.
Congratulations to you, not for you are going to start a blog but because you have decided to do something which 90% people are not doing.
But before you take any step ahead let me confess something, 90% bloggers fail and only 10% succeed.
Don’t worry I will not let this happen to you, I will join you in the 10% group if you will follow me properly in this article.
But don’t you want to know why 90% bloggers fail and only 10% succeed?
I am sure you all want to know.
The answer is very simple, the 90% bloggers who fail don’t know why they are blogging.
They don’t know what’s the purpose of their blog and why they are doing it.
Your blog is your business, and a business without purpose is blind.
Purpose plays a very important role in one’s life, businesses, career etc. it gives an eye to see the direction and clarity of thought to think what is better for you and your business.
Purpose is the only thing which can create this huge difference of 90% and 10%.
But you don’t worry, you just keep following me in this post and I will take you through step by step process to start a successful blog that will make money for you.
Ultimate 8 Step Guide for Starting a Blog with WordPress and Bluehost
Now from here your blogging journey is going to start so carefully follow each and every step I am going to share in this article.
I will try to make it as simple as any beginner can start and setup their own blog even without being able to write a single line of code.
Here is the outline of this blog post which I will be talking about further.
1. Define Purpose – Fuel Your Passion
Let me remind you again, don’t underestimate this step.
Ask a question to yourself that “why do you want to start a blog?”
What’s the purpose of your blogging?
It could be anything like you want to earn money, personal branding, improving writing skills, sharing knowledge, getting invited to conferences, blogger meetup, etc.
Once you are clear about the purpose of your blog, ask another question to yourself.
Do you have patience?
Can you give your 5-6 month to your blog without any expectations?
If you can then you ready to start a blog.
Now here comes the next step, selecting a blog niche.
Niche is a topic or industry of your blog. It is what your blog will be all about.
In the next section I will explain how you can choose the niche of your blog.
2. Choose a Niche
When starting a blog, the first thing you need to choose is the niche of your blog.
Means, what you are going to write about.
In this competitive environment, you will have to be specific, you just can’t say I will write about everything. It’s not going to work at all.
It must be according to your interest, passion and most importantly the purpose for starting a blog, which already you have chosen I hope.
Everyone starts blogging with different goal and purpose, some want to make money, and some just want to improve their writing skills.
So ask yourself, what’s your purpose of starting a blog?
And the niche you have selected for your blog are meeting your purpose of blogging or not.
If not then you have selected a wrong niche which surely gonna to lead you to failure.
Let’s say I have an interest in Blogging, SEO, digital marketing and related stuff but I am blogging about technology, beauty, etc. which I have nothing to do far away.
So what do you think, am I gonna to succeed in that?
Of course not, because I would not be able to make consistency for a long time and after putting so much of effort I will quit because of lack of interest and passion.
So, choose your blogging niche carefully.
Tips to Select your Blog Niche
Here is a simple guide which you can use for selecting your niche…
- Identify the purpose of your blogging whether it’s – making money,getting fame, improving writing skills, or others.
- Select your blogging niche.
- Check whether it’s meeting your purpose and do you have an interest in the particular niche.
- If it meets all your requirements, go for it.
List of Profitable Blogging niche
Here is the list of few niches for your blog you can pickup as per your interest and passion.
- Gift Ideas
- Life Hacks
- Home Decor
- Personal Finance
- Personal Development
- Politics News
- Digital Marketing
- Government Job
Now I hope it helped you to choose your blog niche and you are ready with it. So, now the next step is selecting a platform for it.
Platform means where you will be running your blogging site.
Choosing a blog platform is necessary because there are multiple blogging platforms available out there and you just can’t pick any of the platform and start running your blog if you are serious about it.
In the next section I will be talking more about selecting a blogging platform.
3. Select Platform
Once you are ready with your blogging niche, the next step you need to think of where you are going to run your blog. Means selecting your blogging platform.
There are multiple blogging platforms are available in the market like WordPress, Blogger, Medium, LinkedIn and many others.
WordPress is one of the most recommended platform for any serious blogger.
If I talk in numbers then 30% sites on the internet are running on WordPress platform only.
WordPress is an easy to use CMS platform where you can create any kind of website even without being able to write a single line of code.
WordPress provides fully drag & drop customization features with thousands of built in template to create a blog website or any other with some easiest steps.
Even my website blogging central itself is running on wordpress so as per my experience I would recommend you also for using the same.
To start your blog on wordpress you need two things, Domain and Hosting.
Domain is the name of your blog on the internet like myblog.com and hosting is where you put all your website data and allow the world to access it from anywhere all over the world.
While selecting domain and hosting, you need to be very careful.
In the next section I will be sharing how you can select a domain and hosting for your blog.
Make sure you don’t avoid the next two steps and follow carefully.
4. Tips to Select a Domain Name from Bluehost
Once you are ready with each steps shared above then now comes to buy a domain name for your blog.
Domain name is the name and URL of your blog which people use to visit your blog on the internet.
For example myblog.com.
While selecting a domain name for your blog, don’t repeat the same mistake I did.
As you might have noticed my blog name and URL is different, so you don’t do the same, make sure your domain name and URL are the same.
- Make sure your domain name reflect the niche of your blog. For example Blogging Central which reflects blogging, digital digital marketing and related topics.
- Short and simple domain name are good which people can easily remember and pronounce.
- Identify your target audience whether it Global or local.
- If Global then .com is must but if you are targeting local audiences like in Australia or in India then you can go for regional domain like .au for Australia and for India.
- Avoid trademark domains like fakebook, Istagram etc.
Consider these points and brainstorm your mind about what should be the domain name for your blog.
In the next section I will be sharing how to buy hosting from bluehost and get a free domain name with bluehost hosting.
5. Install and Setup Your WordPress Blog on Bluehost for Dummies Step By Step Guide
Domain and hosting are the two most important things you need when it comes to start a blog or website.
About domain, we already have discussed above and now it’s time to select the hosting for your blog.
Hosting is a service provided by hosting providers where you store all your website data and allow the world to access it online over the internet.
Without hosting it’s not possible to let your website seen by your audience over the internet.
There are multiple hosting providers are available in the market, you can choose any of them.
But when selecting a hosting provider, you need to take care of few things so you don’t regret it later.
Because it’s the place where you put all your website data, credentials and everything.
So you need to make sure that you select the select the hosting that provide high uptime performance, fully customer support, reliable, Data transfer etc.
And I don’t think any other web hosting provider can provide all these features at an affordable price than bluehost.
Bluehost is one of the leading hosting provider companies around the globe recommended by wordpress itself.
And here is why it’s the most favorite hosting provider for millions of people.
- Free Domain Name
- Free SSL certificate
- Free Website Builder
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- 24/7 Customer Support
- 1 Click WordPress Install
- High Uptime
- Affordable Price
Signup With Bluehost, Buy Hosting and Get a Free Domain Name
There is no rocket science in buying a hosting from bluehost, it’s as simple as you surf the internet.
Just follow the steps given below and at the end you will have your hosting and free bluehost domain name in your hand.
Click on bluehost.com and goto bluehost dashboard.
Click on get started.
From the plan page select basic plan if you are just starting. Basic plan is enough for a beginner.
On the next page, you will be asked to get your free domain name. As shown in the picture below. Enter your blog domain name and click next. Once entered the domain name, click on next and you will be redirected to another page where it will ask you to fill some basic information.
When you reach to package extras section, make sure you untick unnecessary products to save your money. In my suggestion you can untick all of them.
And at last you have to select your payment method among many. By default credit/debit options are there but to get more options, click on payment options link and do payment with appropriate method.
Once information filled up, click on submit button. It will complete the payment and redirect you to another page where it will ask you to set a new password.
Click on set password option and enter your new and confirm password and click on next. You will be redirected to the login page.
Continue Installing WordPress to Bluehost with 1 Click
Click on the login button to start installing wordpress on your account automatically.
In the next step it will ask you to select theme for your blog. If you like any theme from the suggested one then select and click next but if you don’t like any then click skip the step and move to the next.
On the next page it will be asking you two different option – Start building and goto my bluehost account. I will explain both methods to install wordpress.
First click on start building option first and after a few seconds you will be on your wordpress dashboard, from where you can add posts, pages, customize and do many more things.
Finally wordpress has been installed on your bluehost account. But if you have already bought the domain name and hosting from bluehost and want to install wordpress externally on it then follow the steps given below.
Install WordPress Manually from Bluehost Account?
Login into your bluehost hosting account using your username and password.
It will redirect you to your web hosting dashboard that will something look like the picture given below.
From the left pane click on my site and then click on create site from the top right corner.
On the next page it will ask you to enter your site name and tagline. Fill and click on next.
Next select your domain name from the next page as shown below and click next.
You will be redirected to completion of wordpress installation page from where you have to click on login to wordpress as highlighted in the below picture.
And finally using bluehost account method you will be redirected to your wordpress dashboard.
Still your website is not live. To make it live click on coming soon active and then launch your site. And it will start showing to public.
So finally you have installed wordpress on your bluehost hosting. It’s time to customize it. To customize your wordpress blog follow design and customize section.
6. Start Designing Your Blog Step by Step
So if you have followed all the steps properly discussed above then now you might have done with domain name, hosting and installed wordpress also.
That means, your 80% task is done.
And now it’s time to design your blog.
Don’t worry if don’t know how to write a code and all those because when it comes to design a blog or website in wordpress, it’s all about installing theme and plugins.
Themes are the predesigned website templates which you just have to install and activate on your wordpress. And plugins are like software which allows you to add additional features and functionalities to your site in wordpress.
Means here you don’t need any advanced coding skills to design your blog.
Follow the steps given below and easily customize your blog in a few minutes.
Install WordPress Theme to your Blog
Login into your wordpress dashboard. To login, type https://ww.yourdomainname/wp-admin” and enter your username-password.
Once you logged in to your dashboard, goto appearance in the left pane of the dashboard and click on themes and it will show hundreds of pre installed themes to your wordpress.
But if you don’t want any of the default one, click on the Add New from the top left corner. And it will take you to the wordpress theme store where you will get thousands of new themes to choose from.
WordPress also gives you the filter search which helps you to select the best suited theme for your blog. From filter search you can select Subject, Layouts, and its features.
As you found the theme, hover on it, and you will see two options, preview and install. Click on preview if you want to see how it looks like otherwise click on install and then activate.
WordPress Themes from Other Sources
But what if you didn’t get the theme you were looking for?
Well then you can also choose the themes from other sources as well and then upload to wordpress externally.
Here are the few sources where you can get free as well as premium wordpress theme for your blog.
- Thrive Theme
The benefit of selecting theme from these external sources are, you get lot’s customization features with multiple option than the free one.
Choice is yours, what you choose.
And finally, your theme has been installed to your blog and now it’s time to customize it.
Customize Your blog
The beauty of wordpress is that it allows us to customize the complete website even without writing a single line of code.
And this is why people are loving it.
Follow the steps given below and customize your easily. Let’s begin…
- On your wordpress dashboard, from the left pane, goto appearance->customize.
- You will be redirected to your website customization page where you will get multiple options for designing your blog. The dashboard will look something like this –
The options will remain the same for almost all the wordpress theme except for some minor changes in customization features.
From here you can fully customize your blog.
Let me introduce you to all the common modules you might be seeing in your blog wordpress customization dashboard…
- Published – Any changes will apply when you will click on publish only.
- Site Tagline – In this section you can give the name of your site and the tagline. Also you can set the logo of your site from here.
- Colors – Allow you to change the color of your site.
- Header Image – You can set the header image.
- Menus – From Here you can create and set the menus positions on your site.
- Widget – Widgets are used to set the additional functionalities to your site.
- Home Page Settings – Gives you the option to select what to show on your home page.
- Theme Settings – This will allow you to configure your site like layout, breadcrumbs etc.
- Advance CSS – In this section you can add CSS code manually to make your site look better. If you don’t like the default one, you can install external CSS editors as I have done.
So, this was the basic intro and guide to customize your wordpress blog. Now completely it’s up to you how you use your creativity with this blueprint. And make your site look awesome.
7. SEO Optimisation – Things to do after installing WordPress
Once your website is ready, you must optimize your site for SEO.
SEO is a search engine optimization and it is one of the best ways to drive traffic on your blog site for free.
Initially, when your site is new, you need to make a few changes for SEO ranking. This will help you to drive traffic on your site from search engine.
Although, you will have to do SEO for each and every blog post you will be writing in the future but this is just an initial setup for your complete blog site.
To configure SEO on your blog you have to focus on three different areas – On page optimization, Search Console Submission, Connect Google Analytics
Below I have shared a step by step guide on how you will do it, follow each and every step carefully.
On Page Optimization – Install And Configure Yoast SEO Plugin
Yoast is one of the best SEO plugin available for wordpress users, it helps you to let your SEO work done by just a few simple clicks.
So, the first step whenever you start a new site, consider installing Yoast SEO plugin first. Even though there are other alternative tools out there but this one is one of the most recommended one.
Here is how you will install this…
- Login into your wordpress dashboard.
- On the left side, click on plugin and then Add plugin.
- In the search area, write Yoast SEO.
- Click on install and then Activate.
- And finally, your Yoast plugin will get installed and you have to configure SEO for your site using this plugin.
Yoast Configuration for SEO
Once Yoast SEO get installed in your wordpress dashboard, configure your wordpress site with its wizard setup feature.
The wizard setup feature of Yoast will do almost all required settings on your site for SEO optimization.
To do this just follow the steps given below…
- Goto the wordpress dashboard and from the left pane click on SEO and then General.
- You will be redirected to another page where you will have to click on Configuration Wizard to configure your SEO settings.
- Once you click on Configuration wizard you will meet eight different steps to complete the settings. Go one by one.
- In the first step you will get option to select whether site is ready or under construction. Choose Option A if site is ready.
- In a second step, choose as per your site, mine is blog so I selected blog.
- Next, select whether it’s an organization or person. I selected organization. Then give the name and set the logo of your organization. And give social media addresses as well.
- Next, it will ask you whether you want to show your posts and pages in search engine or not. Select yes in both without making any mistake.
- Are you planning to have multiple authors on your site? If not then select no. I do not have multiple authors on my site and so I selected no.
- Then in the next step, give your website name and select the separator to separate your site name and tagline. For instance – Blogging Central | Keep Learning, Keep Sharing.
- In this step, it will ask you for your email to start reading their articles and if you don’t want then just skip and click on next.
- And finally, you are done with each and every steps.
So, this was the very simple process for configuring your site with Yoast SEO. Still you have to do a lot of things, these were just basics.
Site Meta Title and Description
This is one of the most important parts of your site, which search engine use to identify what your site is all about.
Normally, the site title includes your site name and tagline like Blogging Central | Keep Learning, Keep Sharing. Meta description includes brief introduction of your site.
To set your meta title and description navigate SEO->Search Appearance and you will see screen given below. Set your meta title and description and click save.
Permalinks are link which are used to tell the search engines how your posts or pages URLs should appear in search engine pages.
The short, simple and clean are highly recommended.
To set your permalink, goto Setting->Permalinks and click on the simple post option highlighted below.
Once you have done this, your posts or pages URLs will start showing only in this format.
8. Connect your Site with Google Search Console
Why Google Webmaster?
Once your site is ready with all on page and design activity, now your goal must be driving traffic to your site, especially from Google.
And this will not be possible without telling Google about the existence of your site.
How will you do it?
Well, you can do this by submitting your site to Google webmaster.
Google Webmaster is a free tool provided by Google itself where you submit your site to tell Google that this is my site and please show it in your SERP pages.
In short Google webmaster works as a middleman between your site and Google search engine. It helps Google to identify how your site looks like, what are the errors on your site and lot more things.
How to Submit Your Site To Google Webmaster?
- Log into Google webmaster through your gmail account.
- On the top left corner click on Add property.
- Then enter your site URL in the given section shown below and then click to continue.
- Once you click on continue, it will show you multiple options to verify it with your site. You will get five different options to verify your site but one of the easiest one is HTML tag.
- Just click on HTML tag and copy the code.
- Goto your wordpress dashboard, and then navigate SEO->General->Webmaster Tools. And then under Google Verification code section, paste the code and click on save.
- Once you paste the code, come back to your Google webmaster and click on verify and then done.
Sitemap is an xml file which includes all the links exist on your website. And once we submit this file to search engine, search engine will easily be able to read all the pages of our site.
To submit XML file to search engine first you have to create it.
Follow the steps and I will guide you how to do this.
- Goto your wordpress dashboard.
- Navigate SEO->General->Features. And click on the highlighted symbol shown in the picture below.
- Then click on see the xml sitemap shown below and it will redirect you to your xml file URL. The URL of your sitemap might look like https://test.com/sitemap_index.xml.
- Copy the the sitemap URL and Google webmaster dashboard and from the left side click on Sitemap option.
- As you will click on sitemap option, the below page will appear.
- Add your sitemap there and click on submit. Make sure you enter only last part of the sitemap URL. For instance if it is https://test.com/sitemap_index.xml then add only sitemap_index.xml.
- And finally your sitemap has been submitted, wait for few days and Google will start showing your site in its SERP pages.
Connect your Site with Google Analytics
Google analytic is another free tool provided by Google itself. Using this tool you can track all the activity performed by your visitors on your site like number of visitors on your site, the number of pages they seen, how long they stayed on your site, and many more things.
So, to connect your site you have follow few simple steps given below…
- Login to your Google Analytic Account using your Gmail account like you did for webmaster.
- The dashboard will look something like below, click on admin, highlighted below.
- It will show you another page given below with three different options. You click on Create Property, highlighted below.
- Next click on Web because we want to measure website data.
- After selecting Web click on continue and fill all required data it’s asking for like website name, URL, Industry type, Time zone. While entering your website URL, select http and https according to your website. And then click Create.
- As you will click on create, you will get a code highlighted below which you have to paste in the <head></head> of your website.
- If you don’t know how to copy paste this code on your site header section simply install a plugin called header and footer.
- Open header and footer plugin and in the header section, paste the copied code from Google analytics and then click save.
- And Google analytics will start tracking users and their activity on your site.
And now you are ready with everything to write and publish blog posts on your site. In the next section I will be sharing how to find a topic for your blog and awesome blog post that your audience love to read.
Bluehost Hosting Alternative:
Let’s wrap up…
Blogging is a profession which has made thousands of millionaires around the Globe. So, if you want to join the millionaires group start your own blog right now.
Above I have shared a complete blueprint on how you can start a blog with a some easiest step. So, if you have directly jumped here then I would suggest go and read the complete article.
Blogger and Founder